Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

The Fine Art of Fudging


Japanese Octagon Box Panel
32ct white lugana

See those octagons? They're all wrong! And it's a combination of several factors.

First I stitched one octagon and then I stitched the rest looking at the first one. Several of you are already shaking your heads.
Then I went ahead and filled all the spaces with Rhodes rectangles.
Then I did all the black stitches for one lantern counting from the octagon.
Then I stitched one row for the second lantern counting from the octagon and rest counting off of that row. (With me so far?)
Then I realized that the first and second lanterns were not the same.

Going back to check where the mistake was, it took me a while. I had stitched an extra line for one of the boxes on the octagon. What was mean to be a 2x2 square for a bead had become a 2x3 square into which I'd stitched a Rhodes. The whole octagon was wrong.
Having stitched and filled in six octagons I'm not crazy enough to frog them.

Instead there will just be extra space around the lanterns and bonsai trees, and that Rhodes will replace the bead. In fact, I'm toying with replacing all the beads with floss. From what I can tell they only appear around the octagon and near the top frame...

And it's only the six frames because that fits in my Q-snap without any moving. So I'll probably finish off these panels before I get to the last two.

12 comments:

Melissa said...

Boy do I know that feeling. But you know - I can't see the deference by the pic. You may be able to get away without having to pull it all out and re-stitching.

Good Luck and Happy Stitching!!!

Vickie said...

OOHH NNOO! Well keep on going for it at this point! It looks good. :)

Ranae said...

You did a fab job on the art of frogging,lol,I would have never known
It looks good

Anonymous said...

...and so it shall be ALL YOURS. LOL Fudging is God's way of letting us put a lil piece of ourselves into everything we do. ;) It looks fantastic, I'd have never spotted it. (Then again, I don't go out of my way to hunt down fudges either unless they consist of yummy chocolate. XP)

Giovanna said...

Hey, it looks great! More fudging power to you!

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

Would never have known if you hadn't said. Looks pretty gorgeous to me,it's a lovely design.
I've done it too.A mistake discovered on a 10+year UFO.I found I was one stitch out which altered the pattern all around the error. I painstakingly worked my way round it and now it's all on track again,and only I know where the error is :)

Mouse said...

ohhhh dear ..... been there and seen and done that too ... so can sympathise ... but I wouldn't have know if you hadn't have said ... :) love mouse xxxxx

demeter83 said...

We've all fudged something.

To this day I can't work out how I was fifteen stitches out on one project, so I made up the bit in the middle and it looked fine (well, it did to a 10 year old me, I might disagree if I saw it now).
Yours look gorgoeus, I wouldn't have known they were wrong if you hadn't said it!

Kathy A. said...

Wow, that is so very beautiful. No one but you will ever know that you fudged.

Lija Broka said...

looks good even with the error

Ewa said...

Looking at it, I would not have known there was an error. In fact, I still can't tell, so I think you're just fine :) In fact, it looks great!

Joysze said...

Fudging works for me at this point. Too much to frog, that's for sure.

That's what I'd have done too, by the way... build the octagons up in layers like you did....